Harold Green Jewish Theatre's Mandate
At the Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company we embrace and celebrate the Jewish story – stories about our history, stories about our beliefs, stories about our struggles and triumphs.
These stories have been 5,000 years in the making; they have universal application. These stories have to be told and need to be seen.
It is our responsibility and privilege to share them with the world.
Harold Green Jewish Theatre's Vision Statement
Harold Green Jewish Theatre's founding vision statement is to illuminate humanity through a Jewish perspective, by inviting artists and audiences to participate in live theatre, the meeting place of all the arts.
Theatre holds up a mirror to our lives and stimulates us to see the world in new ways. We want our plays, of Jewish themes, to delight and enlighten, to inspire and stir and to open hearts to humanity. We tell stories to reveal truths, through a Jewish perspective, that deserve to be heard over and over again.
We welcome experienced artists and nurture emerging professionals to explore and express their creativity, talent and imagination. Our pride in our craft sets the bar higher with each successive production.
We welcome our diverse audiences as we would friends into our homes. In this electronic age of increasing social isolation, each performance brings together artists and audiences for a unique Jewish encounter.
Each live performance is a once-in-a-lifetime event.
We want to produce for each person on both sides of the stage, such moments and memories as those that sparked and sustain our passion for the theatre.
Harold Green Jewish Theatre's Mission Statement
Harold Green Jewish Theatre is a professional non-profit theatre company that produces a season of plays that reflect the Jewish experience, as well as a series of concerts. Its mission is to produce work that reflects a diverse audience and to:
- Produce plays with a Jewish perspective, that are socially relevant to today's audiences
- Foster intercultural relations through the arts
- Support the development of a Jewish theatre community in Toronto
- Educate the public towards greater appreciation of our Jewish heritage, through theatre, as a meaningful experience
Harold Green Jewish Theatre's Board of Directors
- DANNY WEBBER - President
- CARY GREEN - Vice-President
- JEFF MORRISON - Treasurer
- MARK S. ANSHAN
- LORNE BERNSTEIN
- HOWARD BIDERMAN
- IAN EPSTEIN
- MIRIAM GREEN
- LINDA MILLER
Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company Staff
- DAVID EISNER - Co-Artistic Director
- AVERY SALTZMAN - Co-Artistic Director
- MATT BIRNBAUM - General Manager
- ELLY BARLIN-DANIELS
- ALAN BIRNBAUM
- DENE COHEN
- RABBI MICHAEL DOLGIN
- KEVIN GREEN
- SHEILA MCCARTHY
- DAVID MIRVISH C.M.O. ONT.
- DAVID NAIRN
- JIM ROE
- REVA STERN
- BRYNA WASSERMAN
- RABBI SHAWN ZEVIT
Harold Green Jewish Theatre's Script Submission Policy
Who can send us a script?
- Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company only accepts submissions for plays that speak to our mandate.
- We only respond to full-length plays sent by writers we are familiar with or whose work comes recommended by another theatre, a play development centre or a professional theatre artist such as a director or dramaturg. We also accept work sent by agents.
- If you are a playwright who does not meet the above criteria, you can send us the first 15 pages of your script, along with a synopsis, and a letter outlining the development history of the play. We will be in touch with you only if we want to request the full script.
What we produce:
- HTJTC will have a subscription season of 3-5 full-length plays, for adult audiences. Our mandate is to illuminate humanity through a Jewish perspective, celebrating and preserving Jewish culture by inviting artists and audiences to participate in live theatre, the meeting place of all the arts.
What to include:
- Please include the following:
- Your script
- Information about the development or production history of your play
- A cast breakdown
- Your full mailing address, phone number and e-mail.
- Please do not e-mail scripts.
- If you include a self-addressed stamped envelope, we will return your script. Otherwise, they will be recycled.
How we respond:
- We will send you a brief e-mail indicating that we have received your submission.
- Once we have read your script, we will let you know via e-mail or letter if we are interested in developing or producing it.
- We do not provide dramaturgical feedback.
- Response time is slow due to the high volume of submissions and the fact that the Artistic Directors are the only staff members who review submissions. Therefore, it can take up to 6 months to hear from us. We ask for your patience in receiving a response from us.
Where to send your script:
Harold Green Jewish Theatre Company
121 Parkway Forest Drive, Suite #107